‘ShotSpotter’ Activation Leads to Arrest and Gun Recovery

Last night, Saturday, September 4, 2010, officers from the Youth Violence Strike Force (Gang Unit) arrested suspect, Stevenson Spencer, 32 of Dorchester and charged him with Unlawful Possession of a Firearm (Subsequent Offense), Unlawful Possession of Ammunition, Possession of a large Capacity Feeding Device, Carrying a Loaded Firearm on a Public Way, Discharging a Firearm within 500’ Dwelling, Carrying a Loaded Firearm while Intoxicated, Receiving a Stolen Firearm, Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol, Refusal to Submit, Use of a Motor Vehicle in the Commission of a Felony.

About 10:46PM, officers from the Gang Unit responded to the area of 180 Glenway Street for a call for shots fired via the “ShotSpotter’ system. As officers were responding to the call, they observed a car that speeding from the area of the call. Officers recognized this car as the same that had been stopped just a few minutes earlier in the night and cited. Due to the nature of the call and the high at which the car was traveling, officers decided to conduct a traffic stop of the speeding car. Officers activated their lights and sirens and attempted to stop the car when it sped up even more and took off from officers.  The suspect operating at a high rate of speed fled down Harvard St. and turned onto Radcliffe Street where he collided with a parked car.

The suspect exited the car and attempted to walk away after he crashed the car but was stopped a short distance from the car and detained. Officers responded to the car and there observed a firearm in the center console of the car. Upon further investigation, officers discovered that the firearm contained sixteen live rounds of ammunition inside a thirty-one round magazine with one shell casing inside the chamber.  Officers performed an inventory search of the car and found two additional shell casings under the passenger seat and one live round under the driver’s seat. Additionally, officers searched the suspect and recovered an additional round of ammunition.

The suspect, arrested and taken back to district, once at the booking was determined to have a strong odor of alcohol on his person, and noticeably slurred his speech, and was unsteady on his feet and consequently was charged with Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol.