In light of the recent incidents that have been reported in the River St area of Mattapan, we\’d like to remind city residents of steps you can take to enhance your personal safety.TIPS FOR ENSURING YOUR PERSONAL SAFETY
- Always be aware of your surroundings–especially at night. When parking, walking or returning to your car, remain in well-lit and populated areas.
- Wear sneakers if possible for extra mobility.
- Be watchful – who is out there and what is going on. Keep your head up. Make quick eye contact with those around you and be observant of passing vehicles. Do not become distracted by talking on a cell phone or listening to an iPod/similar device.
- Avoid walking alone late at night. Attempt to walk with people that you are familiar with.
- Keep a whistle within reach. If you feel threatened, use the whistle to signal to residents that you need assistance. Yelling ‘Fire!” “Help!” and/or “”Rape!” as you are being assaulted also signals people to assist you.
- Hold your car keys in your hand to use as a weapon against an attacker.
- Carry a cell phone with you.
- Call ahead to your destination to let them know that you are on your way. Make sure they expect you at a certain time, so that they may look out for you upon your arrival or will know to look for you if you do not arrive.
- Walk with confidence. Be assertive – do not let anyone violate your space. Trust your instincts. Accept the fact anyone can be a victim of crime– do not simply assume \”IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN TO ME.\”
- Believe that if an unarmed attacker confronts you, you may be able to scare, distract, or even incapacitate the person enough to escape.
- If you think that someone is following you, switch direction or cross the street. Walk toward an open store, restaurant or lighted house.
You may also download the above list as a separate PDF file.