At about 5:51pm, on Wednesday, November 21, 2007, officers from Area B-3 (Mattapan/Dorchester) responded to a radio call for a man with a gun in the area of 238 Fuller Street in Dorchester. On arrival, responding officers observed a witness running away from the scene, pointing back over his shoulder. Officers looked in the direction the witness was pointing and observed an out of control male in the middle of the street waving a weapon. Upon seeing the weapon, officers radioed and informed the dispatcher that the suspect was, in fact, in possession of a gun. Officers then quickly exited their cruisers and began repeatedly ordering the individual to drop the gun. The suspect ignored the officer’s lawful commands, while screaming, “Shoot me! Kill me!” During the confrontation, the suspect, while pointing the weapon at himself, entered a vacated cruiser and drove off.Approximately five blocks later, the suspect crashed the stolen police cruiser into a metal fence in the parking lot of the Walgreens pharmacy at the intersection of Morton and Norfolk Streets in Mattapan. At this time, officers again began ordering the suspect to drop the gun. Again, while gesturing and pointing the weapon in a threatening and menacing manner, the suspect chose to ignore the officer’s lawful commands. Fearing for the safety of innocent bystanders, as well as, fellow officers, police officers discharged their department issued firearms. The suspect was wounded and immediately transported to Boston Medical Center where he was later pronounced. The victim has since been identified as Marquis Barker, 38, of Dorchester.
Multiple officers involved in the incident were transported to local hospitals for injuries and evaluations.
The facts and circumstances surrounding this incident continue to be investigated by the Boston Police Department and the District Attorney’s Office.
As a result of initial findings and investigation, it has been determined that the weapon used by the suspect was a pellet gun. The pellet gun was a replica of a semi-automatic handgun.
Boston Police will continue to provide updates to the public as information becomes available.
A press conference is tentatively scheduled for tomorrow.